Show Form
Can’t find it? Try A-Z Check a registration

Information for:

Sign up to our Engage eNewsletter

Professional Engineering Institutions

The Engineering Council grants licences to professional engineering institutions, allowing them to assess candidates for inclusion on the national register of professional engineers and technicians. They can also be licensed to accredit or approve degrees, professional development schemes, qualifications or apprenticeships.

Licensed institutions are deemed to have sufficient experience, procedures and resources to undertake the following tasks:

A list of professional engineering institutions currently licensed can be found below. 

Becoming professionally registered

The first step to becoming professionally registered with the Engineering Council as EngTech, IEng, CEng or ICTTech is membership of a licensed professional engineering institution. The institution will act as the awarding body for your registration. 

When choosing which institution to contact it is best to join one closest to the discipline of engineering you work in.  They will be best placed to assess your competence for professional registration.  If you find that there are two or three suitable institutions, you might wish to join more than one, or contact all those suitable to choose which best meets your needs. 

There are many benefits of professional engineering institution membership, including:

Professional engineering institutions licensed to award professional registration

Although Professional Affiliates are not granted licences to award professional registration, they may register their members through an agreement with one of the licensed professional engineering institutions listed:

BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT

British Institute of Non-Destructive Testing (BINDT)

Chartered Association of Building Engineers (CABE)

Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE)

Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors (CICES)

Chartered Institution of Highways & Transportation (CIHT)

Chartered Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering (CIPHE)

Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM)

Energy Institute (EI)

Institution of Agricultural Engineers (IAgrE)

Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE)

Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE)

Institution of Engineering Designers (IED)

Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET)

Institute of Explosives Engineers (IExpE)

Institution of Fire Engineers (IFE)

Institution of Gas Engineers and Managers (IGEM)

Institute of Highway Engineers (IHE)

Institute of Healthcare Engineering and Estate Management (IHEEM)

Institution of Lighting Professionals (ILP)

Institute of Marine Engineering, Science & Technology (IMarEST)

Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE)

Institute of Measurement and Control (InstMC)

Institution of Royal Engineers (InstRE)

Institute of Acoustics (IOA)

Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (IOM3)

Institute of Physics (IOP)

Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine (IPEM)

Institution of Railway Signal Engineers (IRSE)

Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE)

Institute of Water

INCOSE UK, the UK Chapter of the International Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE)

Nuclear Institute (NI)

Permanent Way Institution (PWI) 

Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS)

Royal Institution of Naval Architects (RINA)

Safety and Reliability Society (SaRS)

The Society of Operations Engineers (SOE)

The Welding Institute

Print this page