Show Form
Can’t find it? Try A-Z Check a registration

Information for:

Sign up to our Engage eNewsletter

Mobility and recognition: engineers from Ukraine

Working as an engineer in the UK
In general, there is no restriction on the right to practice as an engineer in the UK. There are some areas of work, usually safety related, that are reserved by statute, regulation or industry standards to licensed or otherwise approved persons. You can find out more about these areas on our website.

Recognition of your qualifications
UK ENIC is able to provide support in the recognition of qualifications and skills of refugees and individuals in refugee-like situations. If you need guidance on recognition of refugee qualifications, or information on support they can offer, email UK ENIC at

Recognition of your engineering competence
Engineering Council registration is an internationally-recognised benchmark of competence and is recognised as desirable in many fields of engineering, but is not mandatory to work as an engineer.

Professional registration entitles you to the use of legally protected titles:
Engineering Technician (EngTech)
Incorporated Engineer (IEng)
Chartered Engineer (CEng)
Information and Communications Technology Technician (ICTTech)
which may only be used by individuals who are registered with the Engineering Council.

To become professionally registered, engineers and technicians must be a member of and individually assessed by one of the professional engineering institutions (PEIs) licensed for this purpose by the Engineering Council. You will need to join one of the PEIs in order to become registered and they can offer advice on the requirements for registration, based on your individual circumstances. Many of the PEIs offer reduced fees for members in financial difficulty; ask your institution for more information about this.

Registration is renewable annually and requires continued membership of a PEI and compliance with codes of professional conduct, including a requirement to carry out Continuing Professional Development (CPD). You can find a short profile of each of the PEIs, with a guide to the professional registration process, in our Pocket Guide to Professional Registration.

Visas and work in the UK
General advice on visas and immigration is available on the UK Government website, with specific information for Ukrainian nationals. An overview of the Global Talent visa is available on the Royal Academy of Engineering.

Education, work and recognition in the EU
A resource hub from the European Training Foundation (ETF) offers information about accessing education and training in the EU, finding work and recognition of skills and qualifications in EU member states.

Jobs for Ukrainians
For the benefit of Ukrainians and others who have been displaced or have lost their jobs due to war, the, website has been created to help people who have fled to other countries and need to earn a living in order to support their families.

English language practice
The City of Sanctuary network runs 'Conversation Cafes' in most towns and cities where they are represented. These are for any asylum seekers or refugees to use as a drop in, with volunteers who are happy to sit and chat with anyone to improve their English and to signpost other help they might need. City of Sanctuary can also help with food, clothing, housing, legal issues, access to English as a Second Language (ESOL) classes etc and their website has a resources page for Ukraine

The Council for At-Risk Academics (CARA) provides urgently-needed help to academics in immediate danger, those forced into exile, and many who choose to work on in their home countries despite serious risks. 

Led by The British Academy in partnership with CARA and other national academies, a new programme of Fellowships for researchers at risk will be supported by The Royal Academy of Engineering and funded by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS). Please email any enquiries about the scheme to

Print this page