Show Form
Can’t find it? Try A-Z

Information for:

Sign up to our Engage eNewsletter

Working in the UK

EU and EEA nationals coming to work in the UK

Under Directive 2005/36: Recognition of Professional Qualifications, citizens of other European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) Member States who are recognised as an engineer or technician in their home state may apply to the relevant UK professional engineering institution for membership and registration with the Engineering Council.

The professional engineering institution to which you apply will offer an assessment that complies with the Directive and provide all the information you need to make the application. Please contact your institution for further advice.

The Directive does not guarantee automatic recognition. Where there are significant differences between your education, training and engineering competence and those required for recognition by the professional engineering institution and the Engineering Council, you will be requested to undertake compensation measures. This may be in the form of an adaptation period or an aptitude test.

The Competent Authority in your home Member State may be able to provide further information to support your case. This may include guidance on how your professional qualification/registration relates to the levels set out in Article 11 of the directive. These levels map to the Engineering Council registers as follows:

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your application for recognition, you may appeal. Conciliation services are available through the SOLVIT centre in your home Member State.

The engineering profession in the UK is self-regulated through the use of legally protected professional titles. With a few exceptions, there is no restriction on access to practise as an engineer or technician in the UK.

Print this page