Show Form
Can’t find it? Try A-Z Check a registration

Information for:

Sign up to our Engage eNewsletter


Now that you have completed your university education, what are your next career goals?

Working towards professional registration as an Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Chartered Engineer (CEng) is an important career goal for any graduate engineer. Once you have gained some work experience this should be the next achievement you work towards.

Achieving professional registration shows employers and wider society, in the UK and abroad, that you have the knowledge, competence, skills and attitude they value. It demonstrates that your understanding of engineering principles and competence have been independently assessed and that you have shown a commitment to keeping them up to date.

As IEng and CEng are defined by the globally recognised UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC), becoming registered can be a huge advantage if you are looking to work overseas or for a company that operates internationally.

Professional engineering institution membership

The first step towards becoming professionally registered is to join a professional engineering institution so you should stay in touch with any institutions you belong to when you graduate. If you didn’t join while at university, now is a good time to do so. Several of these institutions offer reduced membership rate for graduates – contact your institution for more information.

Professional engineering institution membership can provide significant support through your early career, including professional development opportunities, mentoring and an invitation to register your intention to work towards professional registration.

By registering your interest, your institution will be able to guide you on how to build up your competence portfolio and advise you when you are ready to apply for professional registration.

As a graduate, Interim Registration is also an option.

Which title?

As an engineering graduate you should consider two options: Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Chartered Engineer (CEng).  IEng and CEng are both well-recognised titles that demonstrate your achievements publicly.  Which you apply for will depend on a number of factors. 

Many engineers follow a career path that sees them using the IEng skill set, while others acquire the skills and competence required for CEng registration. 

If you were thinking of working towards CEng status, an option to consider is going for IEng first. You could find that you are eligible for this several years earlier than CEng.  It provides you with all the benefits of professional registration, but sooner!

Professional Engineering Institutions and Professional Affiliates

If you aren’t already a member, find a full list of the engineering institutions licensed by the Engineering Council to support and assess you for professional registration

… (Read more)

Which professional title?

Find out about the four available professional engineering titles to help you to determine which to aim for

… (Read more)

Course Search

Check whether your qualifications are accredited by an engineering institution as counting towards a professional title

… (Read more)

UK-SPEC and the ICTTech Standard

This webpage provides you with access to the Engineering Council’s standards documents that detail the criteria and ways of becoming eligible for professional registration

… (Read more)

Print this page