Show Form
Can’t find it? Try A-Z

Information for:

Sign up to our Engage eNewsletter

I have other questions on professional registration

I am an engineer and have just moved to the UK. Do I need to register in order to work?

Engineers do not require a licence to practise in the UK.  However, professional registration would be of great benefit and shows that you meet certain professional standards.  You can read more about the value of registration here.

How do I verify if a person is registered?

Please email your request to and provide the following information:
full name, date-of-birth, institution membership number and Engineering Council registration number.

I have gained a qualification outside the UK. Is there a UK equivalent?

Please contact UK-NARIC, the national agency responsible for providing information and advice about how qualifications and skills from overseas compare to the UK's national qualification frameworks. They can compare your qualifications and provide you with simple and officially recognised documents which explain the level of your qualification:

  • a letter of comparability; providing information on the comparable level of your qualifications to UK standards
  • a career path report; an in-depth report describing one of your qualifications and the education system in which you studied.

UK-NARIC letters of comparability are useful when applying for jobs in the UK as they provide clear indicators of your education level in UK terms. These letters do not, however, provide exemption from elements of the registration process, although some institutions do use them as part of their assessment.

UK-NARIC can be contacted via their website, by telephone at +44 (0)871 330 7033) or by email

Print this page