Show Form
Can’t find it? Try A-Z Check a registration

Information for:

Sign up to our Engage eNewsletter

I have applied for professional registration

How much is registration and how do I pay?

There are two types of registration fee: the initial joining fee, and the annual registration fee. Amounts vary depending on your level of registration, and may be revised annually. Current Engineering Council registration fees can be found here and are paid via the institution you are registered through. Please contact your institution for methods of payment.

Please note that you will also have to pay fees to join and retain membership of your chosen institution. A few institutions also surcharge Engineering Council fees.

How long does it take to become registered?

This will depend on the length of time required by your institution, so please check with them.

However, once your application has been assessed and approved by your institution, and sent to the Engineering Council, it will normally be processed within 1 to 3 weeks of receipt (with the exception of the period mid-December to mid-January when it might take a bit longer).  Once your name has been added to the register, a registration pack is despatched to the address provided by your institution.

How can I check on the status of my application for registration?

Please check with your institution on the status of your registration application.  Once your institution has let you know that your application has been successful and passed to the Engineering Council, it normally takes up to 10 working days to be processed. (and possibly longer during the period mid-December to mid-January). Upon completion, your registration pack will be posted to you, at the address supplied to your institution.

Will I receive a certificate once I’m registered?

Yes, a registration pack, including a certificate is dispatched by the Engineering Council within 10 working days of your name being added to the register.

What should I do if I haven’t received my certificate?

Once registered a welcome pack (which includes a certificate) is posted to the address provided within 10 working days.  The pack is posted to the address stated on the electronic registration form submitted by your institution. If you do not receive your welcome pack, please contact us by emailing As long as you contact us within 6 months of your registration date we will be able to issue a free replacement pack for you. 

Unfortunately after the 6 month period has passed in order to obtain a replacement you will need to download an order form from the shop area of our website.  The cost of a replacement certificate is £20 and orders are processed once a week usually on a Friday.

Where do I find my Engineering Council registration number?

This will be on your registration certificate. If you do not have this please email a request to and provide the following information: full name, date-of-birth and institution membership number.

In what order should post-nominal letters be listed?

The order in which these should be listed is based on the order of precedence and category. This is dictated by standard practice, although it often varies by region. 

The UK Ministry of Justice recommends the following order:

  1. Orders and Decorations conferred by the Crown, i.e. CBE, OBE etc.
  2. University degrees (where more than one, listed in the order of the foundation of the faculty from which they were earned.  First degrees should be omitted if a higher degree is shown in the same faculty. However, when the awarding institutions are listed and the degrees are from different universities, lower degrees are included, e.g. Jo Smith, BA Wales MA London)
  3. Registrations as practitioners (e.g. EngTech, IEng, CEng, ICTTech)
  4. Fellowship or membership of learned societies, academies or professional institutions (for example MInst) (if the individual belongs to more than one, these should be listed in the order of the establishment of the organisation)
  5. Membership of the Armed Forces

So an example would be: Lieutenant A N Other MBE BEng CEng FREng

Certificates are not usually shown but Diplomas may be (inserted after degrees but before practitioner registrations).

Further information can be found here>

I would like to transfer my membership to another institution. How can I do this without losing my Engineering Council registration?

In order to remain on our register you need to be a member of one of the appropriate institutions.

Therefore, if you would like to cancel your membership with your current institution you will need to transfer your Engineering Council registration to another institution first to avoid being removed from the national Register and losing your title. 

If you choose to transfer your registration you are advised to do the following:

  1. Join the new institution
  2. Request to pay your registration fee via the new institution
  3. Once payment has been transferred, resign from your original institution.

I am a member of more than one institution; will I receive an Engineering Council certificate for the additional institution?

If you are a member of more than one institution, this is known as an additional membership.

Additional memberships exist where the registrant has been awarded their title by two separate institutions. The Engineering Council only issues one certificate on initial registration. However, secondary certificates can be purchased using the certificate order form.

Can you certify my Engineering Council certificate?

No, please contact a Notary Public or Solicitor. However, we can provide confirmation of your registered status in the form of a letter or email if required. You can contact us using our contact us form.

How can I obtain an additional or replacement certificate?

If you require an additional or replacement certificate, an order form can be found here.

How do I order an Engineering Council card?

The Engineering Council no longer issues registration cards, but many institutions do, so please check with yours. However, there are other products available, such as registrant ties, lapel pins and professional stamps. Please click here for more information.

Print this page