Show Form
Can’t find it? Try A-Z Check a registration

Information for:

Sign up to our Engage eNewsletter

I am already a professionally registered engineer or technician

What category of registration am I eligible for?

The professional title you are eligible for is dependent on the level of competence you can demonstrate. Academic and vocational qualifications contribute as they demonstrate your level of knowledge and understanding, but you must have working experience at that level.

As a an indicator, the underpinning knowledge and understanding requirements are:


  • An Advanced/Modern Apprenticeship or other work based learning programme approved by a licensed professional engineering institution
  • Or a qualification, approved by a licensed professional engineering institution, in engineering or construction set at level 3 (or above) in the Qualifications and Credit Framework/National Qualifications Framework for England and Northern Ireland; or at level 6 (or above) in the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework; or at level 3 (or above) in the Credit and Qualifications Framework for Wales
  • Or equivalent qualifications approved by a licensed professional engineering institution.


  • An accredited Bachelors or honours degree in engineering or technology
  • or an accredited HNC or HND in engineering or technology (for programmes started before Sept 1999)
  • or an HNC or HND started after Sept 1999 (but before Sept 2010 in the case of the HNC) or a Foundation Degree in engineering or technology, plus appropriate further learning to degree level
  • or an NVQ4 or SVQ4 which has been approved for the purpose by a licensed engineering institution, plus appropriate further learning to degree level*.


  • An accredited Bachelors degree with honours in engineering or technology, plus either an appropriate Masters degree or Engineering Doctorate (EngD) accredited by a professional engineering institution, or appropriate further learning to Masters level
  • Or an accredited integrated MEng degree.


  • Typically, someone who has completed an ICT Advanced Apprenticeship or who has other ICT practitioner qualifications at Level 3 (SCQF 6) with appropriate working experience would be considered competent at this level.
  • Individuals without formal qualifications may also apply for ICTTech registration, by demonstrating they have acquired the necessary competence through substantial working experience.  SFIA Level 3 provides descriptions of typical responsibility levels and working relationships that reflect the level of competence required for ICTTech registration. For more information visit the SFIA website.

*see the QAA website for Higher Education reference points

In what order should post-nominal letters be listed?

The order in which these should be listed is based on the order of precedence and category. This is dictated by standard practice, although it often varies by region. 

The UK Ministry of Justice recommends the following order:

  1. Orders and Decorations conferred by the Crown, i.e. CBE, OBE etc.
  2. University degrees (where more than one, listed in the order of the foundation of the faculty from which they were earned.  First degrees should be omitted if a higher degree is shown in the same faculty. However, when the awarding institutions are listed and the degrees are from different universities, lower degrees are included, e.g. Jo Smith, BA Wales MA London)
  3. Registrations as practitioners (e.g. EngTech, IEng, CEng, ICTTech)
  4. Fellowship or membership of learned societies, academies or professional institutions (for example MInst) (if the individual belongs to more than one, these should be listed in the order of the establishment of the organisation)
  5. Membership of the Armed Forces

So an example would be: Lieutenant A N Other MBE BEng CEng FREng RN

Certificates are not usually shown but Diplomas may be (inserted after degrees but before practitioner registrations).

Further information can be found here

I am already registered but would like to apply for another title. What is the process?

Please contact the membership department of your institution. They will assess your training, qualifications and experience against UK-SPEC and advise if you need to do anything further to become eligible.

I would like to transfer my membership to another institution. How can I do this without losing my Engineering Council registration?

In order to remain on our register you need to be a member of one of the appropriate institutions.

Therefore, if you would like to cancel your membership with your current institution you will need to transfer your Engineering Council registration to another institution first to avoid being removed from the national Register and losing your title. 

If you choose to transfer your registration you are advised to do the following:

  1. Join the new institution
  2. Request to pay your registration fee via the new institution
  3. Once payment has been transferred, resign from your original institution.

My registration and institution membership has lapsed. How do I renew it?

Please contact your institution for further information on how to reinstate your registration. The process for reinstatement will depend on how long it has been since the last payment of registration fees, but if the lapse has been longer than three years, the individual will be required to undertake a Professional Review.

I want to apply for an additional registration title; will I receive an Engineering Council certificate for my new title?

Holding more than one professional registration at the same time, for example EngTech and IEng or IEng and CEng, is known as dual registration.

Dual registrations exist where a registrant has been awarded more than one of the Engineering Council’s titles and each of these has been awarded by a different institution. The Engineering Council issues dual registrants with a certificate for each title. 

Please note that dual registration is different from upgraded registration. Registration is upgraded when a registrant progresses from one title to another (e.g. IEng to CEng) via the same institution. Although registrants who progress to a new title will receive a new certificate, they will not remain on the register under their former title (e.g. they would only be registered as a CEng, and would lose their IEng status). 

Dual registration is therefore only possible for those registered with separate titles, via separate institutions, paying separate registration fees for each title.

I am a member of more than one institution; will I receive an Engineering Council certificate for the additional institution?

If you are a member of more than one institution, this is known as an additional membership.

Additional memberships exist where the registrant has been awarded their title by two separate institutions. The Engineering Council only issues one certificate on initial registration. However, secondary certificates can be purchased using the certificate order form.


Can you certify my Engineering Council certificate?

No, please contact a Notary Public or Solicitor. However, we can provide confirmation of your registered status in the form of a letter or email if required. You can contact us using our contact us form.

How can I obtain an additional or replacement certificate?

If you require an additional or replacement certificate, an order form can be found here.

How do I order an Engineering Council card?

The Engineering Council no longer issues registration cards, but many institutions do, so please check with yours. However, there are other products available, such as registrant ties, lapel pins and professional stamps. Please click here for more information.

How much is registration and how do I pay?

There are two types of registration fee: the initial joining fee, and the annual registration fee. Amounts vary depending on your level of registration, and may be revised annually. Current Engineering Council registration fees can be found here and are paid via the institution you are registered through. Please contact your institution for methods of payment.

Please note that you will also have to pay fees to join and retain membership of your chosen institution. A few institutions also surcharge Engineering Council fees.

Where do I find my Engineering Council registration number?

This will be on your registration certificate. If you do not have this please email a request to and provide the following information: full name, date-of-birth and institution membership number.

Does RegCheck mean you are sharing my personal data with third parties?

No, RegCheck will only verify information. This means the person who is checking if you are professionally registered needs to already know your name, which professional title you hold, and either your registration number or your date of birth. RegCheck will not display any additional information or personal details such as your address. (So a person who is verifying using your registration number would not be informed of your date of birth, or vice versa.)

Print this page