Reports to Supplier Development and Technical Manager Special Process Group.
Description of role/main purpose of job:
To lead the technical development of the company’s special process suppliers to ensure the component method of manufacture is both stable and capable, and to ensure the flow down of regulatory and product integrity requirements.
Provider of power systems and services for use on land, at sea and in the air.
Recommended academic qualifications/experience:
HNC or Degree in relevant discipline, plus three years relevant experience in manufacturing product/processes. Preferably holding Incorporated Engineer status.
- Ensure product integrity for component or system is delivered through alignment of method of manufacture with design intent, by interfacing with appropriate design engineering organisation.
- Ensure that technical packages used are consistent with established best practice.
- Influence the commodity strategies and sourcing decisions with technical knowledge.
- Assess the technical competence of a supplier using the relevant assessments for new and existing supply chains.
- Facilitate the development and implementation of new manufacturing technologies, as identified by commodity strategies and product development, through the application of manufacturing capability readiness level process.
- Ensure method of manufacture for new components are developed which meet the customers’ requirements for quality, cost, delivery and responsiveness, and ensure the level of performance is sustainable.
- Validate the supplier’s method of manufacture and capability, through deployment of First Article Inspection Report process and or metallurgical evaluation.
- Educate and coach suppliers in the application of relevant specifications.
- Ensure the change to product method or source is controlled appropriately in the supply chain.
- Lead/support “build in quality” for the introduction of new products to ensure capabilities meet the design intent, capability, rate and cost requirements.
- Lead interface with National Aerospace and Defence Contractors Accreditation Programme, as required, for nominated special processes. IEng Ensure the special process suppliers are audited at a level compliant to company requirements.
- Perform audits of the Special Process supply chain to ensure the First Article Inspection Report and data-card delegation processes are being correctly implemented.
- Perform new approval requests for new suppliers and new processes as and when required.
- Actively support and influence improvement initiatives.
- Have a major input into sourcing/supplier strategy development and implementation
Necessary skills, experience and competence
Print this page
- Dealing with ambiguity
- Drive for results
- Customer focus
- Business acumen
- Decision quality
- Managing through systems
- Understanding of manufacturing processes
- Understanding of inspection processes
- Understanding of drawings and specifications
- Understanding of quality and process control procedures
- Understanding of capability acquisition
- Understanding of product design and introduction
- Auditor/assessment capabilities