Reports directly to the Head of Engineering. Interfaces with Business Area Chief Engineers, to ensure all project resource requirements are being met.
Description of role/main purpose of job:
Responsible for the day to day management of all Mechanical, Design and Project Engineering staff within the Engineering Function, totalling 100 staff.
International Defence Company, covering the design, integration and delivery of complex Land, Sea, Air and Space Systems.
Recommended academic qualifications/experience:
A professionally registered engineer with 10 to 15 years’ experience in Mechanical Design Engineering, Corporate Member of a Professional Engineering Institution.
- Management of all recruitment activities, both permanent and contract, for the Mechanical, Design and Project Engineering within the Company.
- Directs, coordinates, and exercises functional authority for organising, control, integration and completion of engineering project teams. Assigns personnel to specific phases or aspects of project.
- Coordinates activities concerned with technical developments, scheduling, and engineering design. Implementation and monitoring of annual appraisals and career development activities
- Manages the Technical Apprenticeship Scheme
- Promotion, training and mentoring of Product Development Processes
- Identification and sourcing of relevant training needed by the Engineering team
- Deputise for Head of Design on all design aspects of role
Necessary skills, experience and competence
Print this page
- Understanding and application of the Product Development Process through the development life cycle
- Day to day management of technical staff, including Mechanical Engineering, Test and Evaluation, Structural Analysis, Materials Research and Project Engineering.
- Responsibility for seeing the design through the customer major review of Systems Requirements Review, Preliminary Design Review and Critical Design Review
- Liaison with all project stakeholders, both internal and external
- Generation of technical content of a Certificate of Design for the performance and use of the system