The Hawley Award was established in 2006, and is awarded annually for the most outstanding Engineering Innovation that delivers demonstrable benefit to the environment. The deadline for the 2018 Award is Tuesday 17th April 2018.
The award is made by The Engineers Trust the Trust Fund of the Worshipful Company of Engineers, a Livery Company of the City of London.
A cash prize of up to £5,000, an engraved medal and a certificate will be presented at the Worshipful Company of Engineers Annual Awards Dinner in July 2018. The cash is to be used in furtherance of the winner’s career, such as educational overseas travel. The winner is required to submit a report that will be published.
To apply for the Hawley Award for the Engineering Innovation, the individual must be:
- A resident of the UK in current membership of a recognised professional engineering institution, at graduate level or above (i.e. student members will not be eligible).
- An early career stage engineer or scientist, in academia or industry, typically within 10 years of starting a professional career.
- An individual candidate who has personally produced an engineering innovation. Exceptionally, a small team may be considered where the innovation has a highly multi-disciplinary nature.
The successful Innovation will:
- Have demonstrable benefits for the environment.
- Arise from work undertaken after the award of a graduate or post-graduate degree from a recognised UK university or during study for a post-graduate degree. Work undertaken for a BSc or MEng will not be eligible.
- Have at least reached a stage where a prototype has been developed or proof of concept demonstrated, and there is an expectation that the technology will be developed commercially. The results of laboratory based research will not of themselves be sufficient to qualify for the Award.
Download and complete the application form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org