Reports to the Metallurgy Laboratory Team Leader.
Description of role/main purpose of job:
This is a key metallurgical role in assessing semi-finished and finished product processes for physical and mechanical metallurgical properties. Responsible for assessing the suitability of product non-conformance submitted by manufacturing by determining any metallurgical impact of remedial or concessionary action on product serviceability, deciding whether or not to allow components of high value to be progressed.
Provider of power systems and services for use on land, at sea and in the air
Recommended academic qualifications/experience:
The post holder has typically completed a trade Apprenticeship, BTEC Course in Management Studies, PCN Level II Radiography and has in-depth manufacturing knowledge. Preferably holding Incorporated Engineer status.
- Support manufacturing in resolution of metallurgical process difficulties.
- Support manufacturing in development of new processes.
- Support and resolve on-site issues.
- Maintain or modify materials specifications as appropriate.
- Maintain control of processes to meet customer product and service requirements.
- Generate and co-ordinate materials test programmes, data analysis and modelling to solve problems and improve capability.
- Review external literature in resolution of problems and preparation of reports.
- Liaise with internal and external consultants, test establishments, and review bodies as appropriate in relation to material component behaviour.
- Maintain and control materials fabrication, properties and behaviour.
- Maintain an awareness of materials developments and advancements by continual development.
- Impart knowledge to develop others.
- Maintain live files.
Necessary skills, experience and competence
Print this page
- Verbal and numerical abilities.
- High levels of integrity.
- Self-assured confidence in abilities.
- Stable emotions, able to cope with set-backs and occupational stress.
- A practical and down-to-earth approach to work.
- An ability to influence others in important technical decision making.
- Willingness to take on additional duties.
- An understanding of the consequences of decisions.
- Recognition of issues of greatest importance and priority.
- Good relationships with Shop Floor Operator, Manufacturing Engineers, other project teams, external suppliers and organisations