ICT Technicians are employed in a range of jobs that involve supporting or facilitating the use of ICT equipment and applications by others. They work in areas such as ICT hardware, software or system installation, operation, maintenance, incident/change/problem management, administration, security, fault diagnosis and fixing.
Benefits of ICTTech professional registration
- Letters after your name, eg J.Smith ICTTech
- Recognition of your expertise and hard work
- Higher earnings potential
- Improved career prospects
- Greater influence within your organisation and industry
- Access to life-long learning resources
Registration is open to anyone who can demonstrate the required professional competences and commitment.
- Typically, someone who has completed an ICT Advanced Apprenticeship or who has other ICT practitioner qualifications at Level 3 (SCQF 6) with appropriate working experience would be considered competent at this level.
- Individuals without formal qualifications may also apply for ICTTech registration, by demonstrating they have acquired the necessary competence through substantial working experience. SFIA Level 3 provides descriptions of typical responsibility levels and working relationships that reflect the level of competence required by ICTTechs.
The ICTTech standard provides full details of qualifications and competences for ICTTech registration. It is published by the Engineering Council on behalf of the UK engineering profession. The standard has been developed, and is regularly updated, by panels representing professional engineering institutions, employers and engineering educators. It was last reviewed in 2013 and the second edition was published in January 2014. There is a transition period of up to two years. From February 2016, all ICTTech professional reviews will be conducted in line with this edition. Institution staff will advise and support you throughout the registration process.
The current ICTTech Standard can be downloaded here.
The previous edition can be accessed via archived publications.
How to register
- Join a professional engineering institution licensed by the Engineering Council to assess candidates for ICTTech registration. Either contact a professional engineering institution directly or complete our registration enquiry form
- Apply for ICTTech registration through your professional engineering institution