EngTechs solve practical engineering problems. They are professionals with supervisory or technical responsibility, and apply safe systems of working. They contribute to the design, development, manufacture, commissioning, decommissioning, operation or maintenance of products, equipment, processes or services.
Benefits of EngTech professional registration
- Recognition of your expertise and hard work
- Higher earnings potential
- Improved career prospects
- Greater influence within your organisation and industry
- Access to life-long learning resources
- Letters after your name, eg J.Smith EngTech
The EngTech professional registration is open to anyone who can demonstrate the required professional competences and commitment.
Typically, applicants will have successfully completed an Advanced/Modern Apprenticeship or other work based learning programme approved by their professional engineering institution. This can lead directly to Engineering Technician registration.
or, alongside appropriate working experience, they will hold:
- a qualification, approved by a licensed professional engineering institution, in engineering or construction set at level 3 (or above) in the Qualifications and Credit Framework/National Qualifications Framework for England and Northern Ireland; or at level 6 (or above) in the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework; or at level 3 (or above) in the Credit and Qualifications Framework for Wales;
- or equivalent qualifications approved by a licensed professional engineering institution.
Individuals without formal qualifications may also apply for EngTech registration by demonstrating they have acquired the necessary competence through substantial working experience.
The Approval of Qualifications and Apprenticeships (AQAH) sets out the output standards and learning outcomes for approved qualifications and Apprenticeships.
UK-SPEC provides details of the competence required for EngTech registration. Institution staff will advise and support you throughout the registration process.
How to register
- Join a professional engineering institution licensed by the Engineering Council to assess candidates for EngTech registration. Either contact a professional engineering institution directly or complete our registration enquiry form
- Apply for EngTech registration through your professional engineering institution
Click here to download a complimentary copy of the EngTech eBook, the definitive guide to advancing your career in engineering by becoming an Engineering Technician.