Chartered Engineers develop appropriate solutions to engineering problems. They may develop and apply new technologies, promote advanced designs and design methods and introduce new and more efficient production techniques, or pioneer new engineering services and management methods. The title CEng is protected by civil law and is one of the most recognisable international engineering qualifications.
Chartered Engineers are variously engaged in technical and commercial leadership and possess effective interpersonal skills.
Benefits of CEng professional registration
- The status of being part of a technological elite
- Recognition of your expertise and hard work
- High self-esteem
- Higher earnings potential
- Improved career prospects
- Greater influence within your organisation and industry
- Access to life-long learning
- International recognition of your qualifications
- Letters after your name eg J.Smith CEng
The CEng professional registration is open to anyone who can demonstrate the required professional competences and commitment. These are set out in our professional standard, UK-SPEC, and are developed through education and working experience.
The process will be more straightforward if you have particular academic qualifications, which will also allow you to obtain interim registration. For CEng these are:
- an accredited Bachelors degree with honours in engineering or technology, plus either an appropriate Masters degree or Engineering Doctorate (EngD) accredited by a professional engineering institution, or appropriate further learning to Masters level
- or an accredited integrated MEng degree
However, you can still become a Chartered Engineer if you do not have these academic qualifications. Further information about the assessment process can be found in UK-SPEC.
How to Register
- Join a professional engineering institution licensed by the Engineering Council to assess candidates for CEng registration. Either contact a professional engineering institution directly or complete our registration enquiry form
- Apply for CEng registration through your professional engineering institution
Click here to download a complimentary copy of the CEng eBook, the definitive guide to advancing your career in engineering by becoming an Chartered Engineer.